To say that the first day of the travel tour expo was a lesson in patience, was quite an understatement. Armed with sheer willpower and a positive mindset, I went on to SMX convention center, later than the time I first set for myself. As this is my first time to attend a travel tour expo, I of course did my requisite research through Mr. Google and found only a few blog posts about the previous ones. But based on what I read, it is strongly recommended that you arrive at SMX a few hours before the 10 am opening, which I didn't heed. True enough, when I arrived there, the lines were already too long and winding around the building exterior. Battling with the heat and the credit card promoters, the line slowly dwindles and thankfully accelerated towards the entrance doors.

The long lines outside SMX entrance

Tip: no food and drinks allowed inside

Upon stepping inside, I didn't go straight to the ticket booth but instead went to the information booth to ask where PAL's booth is. It is located on the 2nd floor so head on up the escalators.

Tip: you can buy your tickets upstairs too. Shorter queue!


As soon as you get your wristband, go straight inside and just look for the long line. That's PAL!

Super long lines outside and around PAL's booth

Tip: better have a friend handy so that you can take turns queueing. or if you went solo, go make some new friends! :)

More lines at the side of PAL's booth
The entrance! 

Basco!


After 5 hours, we finally got inside PAL's booth! However, be prepared for more waiting! But thankfully, you'll do it sitting now in this second Part.

The stage

There are around 53 counters

The waiting game

To alleviate impatience and probably bring a little smile on customers' faces, PAL has employed a few personalites to regale the audience with their talents. Known artists like Nicki Minaj, Apl.de.ap, Mr. Bean, Michael Jackson and Maleficent graced us with their presence in different time intervals. Hahaha. The look-a-likes were pretty believable!

I tried to do the math on what time my number will be called (1808) but sadly my brain cannot function much anymore at this point. My phone battery is also dead too. Haha!

Tip: Bring a powerbank and be forewarned that Globe's signal is spotty at best inside the 2nd floor.

Waiting can make one hungry and fidgety so I went out (make sure to bring your stub number as this is your ticket inside and outside the PAL booth) and tried to walk around the other booths which I haven't taken a look at yet. Food stalls are available on the left and right cornera of the convention hall. Choices include among others an array of hotdogs, pizza, dimsum and dumplings, street food and rice toppings.

I tried booking through a travel agency although there are only a handful of them that offers Batanes. The dates I gave them were unsuccesful though. I was told that promo fare for Basco is already fully booked until June. Oh my!

Went back to PAL booth around 8:30PM hoping and praying that my number will soon be called. But alas, the counter said they are still only serving around 1600. Management was quick to assure us that they will accommodate all of the transactions though. There's also a few PAL personnel going around who you can give your booking form to for checking.

By 9:00PM, an announcement was made that SMX management ordered them to cease operations by 9:30pm sharp. Luckily, there were a few good samaritans and they gave me their queue number. I was called around 9:20PM and begged the counter attendant for a promo fare haha! Unfortunately, the only remaining slots are for July. After sending out a quick prayer, I finally booked it. I paid around 6,500Php for a return flight inclusive of Manila-Basco terminal fee and a 10kg check-in baggage.

Thanks to Joy, Christian and May Ann (counter 45)! :)

After endless attempts to book online a promo fare, I now finally, finally have a ticket. And there goes the start of achieving my Batanes dream!

Next stop: Planning my itinerary!


PS: PAL rates for PTTA Travel Tour Expo 2015